Launch of the book Kirkpatrick Fleming: On the Borders of History

In September 2011, the small Annandale parish of Kirkpatrick Fleming saw the launch of a book celebrating the history and archaeology of the parish from the Bronze Age to the present day. The 208-page hardback — Kirkpatrick Fleming: On the Borders of History — was based on extensive research carried out by retired history teacher Duncan Adamson. Its publication was made possible thanks to a bequest to the DGNHAS for the purpose of researching and recording parish history and archaeology from a former Kirkpatrick resident, Ann Hill of Ayr, who grew up in the parish. Duncan Adamson's death, shortly after beginning work on writing the book, meant that the project was taken on by his daughter Sheila, an author, with the help of her mother, Eva and several members of the Society, including John Gair, Morag Williams and John Williams.

John Gair, Morag Williams and Sheila Adamson John Gair, Morag Williams and Sheila Adamson

A crowded audience in Kirkpatrick Fleming's Victoria Hall gathered to hear talks by Sheila and Eva Adamson, John Gair, Morag Williams and Dr Alastair Duncan, son of a former parish minister the Reverend Eric Duncan, as well as enjoying a presentation by pupils from the Primary School.

KF Primary School pupils Pupils of Kirkpatrick Fleming Primary School

In his tribute and appreciation to everyone who had worked on the book, Mr Gair described the finished work as “wonderfully written and very readable”. He recognised that those involved in its production were lucky to have had help from innumerable people from the parish and beyond.

Eva Adamson said how much her husband had enjoyed talking to elderly people in the area in the course of his research, while Sheila outlined the task she faced of creating a “coherent narrative” from her father's numerous files of research. She said her aim had been to put the history of this parish into the wider context of Scotland's history, giving as an example the impact of both agricultural and industrial revolutions on the area. The book allows fascinating insights into the lives of many of Kirkpatrick Fleming's colourful characters over the centuries and Sheila read a few extracts to illustrate these entertaining tales and to whet the appetite of the audience for more. This would certainly appear to have been successful as more than 200 books were sold during the afternoon.

Eva and Sheila Adamson Eva and Sheila Adamson

Copies of Kirkpatrick Fleming: On the Borders of History are now available from Moffat's shop and Cove shop, Kirkpatrick Fleming, Annan Museum, the Ewart Library in Dumfries, and Dumfries Museum. They can also be obtained by calling O1387 710274.


Photographs courtesy of Allan Devlin and as featured in Dumfries and Galloway Life.

Excursion to Borgue Church and Castle Haven Dun

Presented below are photographs taken during the Society’s excursion to Borgue Church and Castle Haven galleried dun on Saturday, 17 July 2010.

The Society would like to thank Mr Simon Brown for permitting access to Castle Haven Dun, Mrs Elizabeth Brown and Mr Adam Gray for their assistance and Jane Brann for providing the photographs.

Gordon Mausoleum Borgue Churchyard — the neo-gothic mausoleum of Sir William Gordon of Earlston (Borgue), who was one of the survivors of the Charge of the Light Brigade. He died in 1906.
Borgue Hearse The Borgue Hearse, inspected by members Ralph Coleman and John McKinnel
Borgue Hearse detail A carved detail of the Borgue Hearse, which was built around 1890 by James Brown, Coachbuilders, Castle Douglas
18th-century gravestone An 18th-century gravestone in Borgue Churchyard
Members and Devereux Members gathered within the late Iron Age/Dark Age galleried dun at Castle Haven near Kirkandrews, with guide David Devereux
Metal plaque The metal plaque within Castle Haven Dun recording its reconstruction by James Brown of Knockbrex in 1905
Metal plaque Some of the finds from the 1905 excavation at Castle Haven, including a penannular brooch (left), possibly of late 4th or 5th century date, and a blue glass bead (right) with a wavy line decoration, also believed to be ofearly medieval date.
Corseyard Dairy Corseyard Dairy or the ‘Coo Palace’, built in 1911–14 as a model dairy by James Brown of Knockbrex. Brown was the co-owner of Affleck and Brown, a major department store in Manchester, and invested considerably in his Galloway estate.
Corseyard Dairy Carved wooden detail in Kirkandrews Chapel built in 1906 by James Brown of Knockbrex who is buried in its grounds.