Articles by this author
John Faed RSA and the Kirkcudbright School
TDGNHAS Series III, 77 (2003), 203(1.68 MB)
The year 2002 saw the centenary of the death of John Faed the artist. This article, illustrated by extensive genealogical and contemporary detail, shows the Faed family's influence on the development of the Kirkcudbright area as an artists' colony and, ul
Following the Artists' Footsteps Project [Lecture to the Society, 18th February, 2005]
TDGNHAS Series III, 79 (2005), 192(4.05 MB)
Summary of a lecture delivered to the Society on 18th February 2005.
The Gatehouse Adventure: The Makers of a Planned Town 1760 to 1830
TDGNHAS Series III, 85 (2011), 119(3.42 MB)
This paper uses a variety of original sources on planned settlements in South West Scotland and the local industrial archaeology in order to explore the progress of Gatehouse of Fleet from the early 1760s, focusing first on the early feuars in the settlement established by James Murray of Broughton near his new mansion at Cally. The paper tracks attempts to bring industry such as tanning and brewing to Gatehouse. Using legal papers in particular, evidence shows how James Murray, other landowners, his partners in the new businesses and local tradesmen all became caught up in the rapid rise and subsequent failure of the Ayr Bank in 1772. The lasting effects of the bank’s failure on the local economy due to the financial burden on Murray and others is examined and we see how this led to a lack of new building, followed by the emigration of a number of the Gatehouse feuars. Development began to pick up only in 1777 when Murray promoted the settlement in the press and reduced feu duties for all new building. Cotton manufacture came to Gatehouse in 1785 with the signing of a contract between Murray and the Birtwhistle family, which led to the construction of a substantial mill. The rapid but short lived development and subsequent decline of the cotton industry and its effect on Gatehouse is examined in some detail. Finally we see how Gatehouse returned to its earlier role as a supplier of tradesmen to Cally Estate under Alexander Murray of Broughton.